Gratitude for what you have has the power to make you feel joy everyday! Without gratitude, you’ll find yourself lacking excitement or energy to get through the day.
Let’s see what Denzel has to say about the importance of gratitude.
So…what is gratitude? While there are many ways to define it, the one that resonates with me is defined as:
“The appreciation of what is valuable and meaningful to oneself and represents a general state of thankfulness or appreciation” (Sansome & Sansone, 2010).
Does Expressing Gratitude REALLY work?
Yes, it does! According to Courtney E. Ackerman, MSc., “gratitude is a selfless act” to show appreciation for something freely given to you.
When you establish a daily practice of being grateful for what you have, you’ll…
- feel better (physically and mentally).
- build meaningful relationships.
- feel more joy.
She says that, according to Dr. Robert Emmons (2003), feeling grateful is a two stage process.
- Acknowledging all that is good in your life.
- Recognizing that the source of this goodness comes from outside yourself.
In short, you’ll have a better life! When I started feeling grateful everyday for the wonderful things in my life, I immediately noticed positive changes. I smile more, hold my head higher, feel confident, and have an overall sense of peace.
Create Your Gratitude Practice
You’ll be surprised how simple it is to get started. Follow these simple steps and in no time you’ll benefit from your practice.
- Commit. If you don’t commit to doing your practice everyday, you’ll miss an opportunity to feel more joy.
- Journal. Write down at least 3 things you’re grateful for everyday. When you do this, create a reminder of gratitude.
- Meditate. Think about what you wrote in your journal. This step is important for FEELING grateful.
Follow these steps everyday and you’ll be well on your way toward an ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE. When you practice gratitude on a regular basis, you’ll start to change how you think and feel. Your attitude of gratitude is contagious! Share in the comments what you’re grateful for today so we can spread gratitude everywhere!
- Why Journaling is Really a Powerful Way to Improve Your Mental Health
- How a Daily Meditation Practice Quickly Improves Your Life
- Why Successful Role Models Can Actually Be Great Motivators
- 7 Fascinating Ways Being Committed To Yourself Brings Positive Change
- How Being a Highly Sensitive Person Can Really Effect Your Life Forever
- Ready to fully embrace life as a highly sensitive person?