We all face challenges in life, that’s just how life is! As a highly sensitive person, you know that we tend to get more overwhelmed by things that other people can just brush off. So it’s harder for us to navigate through challenges that come our way.
One way I’ve overcome almost every challenge that happens is by seeing them as opportunities to learn something new. For every challenge that comes your way, you’ve got two choices. You can choose to respond or react to the situation.
When you respond to a challenge, you’re taking the opportunity to learn from it so you can calmly and peacefully identify a creative solution. Reacting is typically more emotional coming from a place of stress and anxiety that has you grasping at straws for a solution.
I believe that one of the things we HSPs strive for is to be less emotional and more balanced in how we navigate the ups and downs of every day life!
When you’re facing an unwelcomed challenge in your life, it can be hard in the moment to make the right decision. So it’s important to take a few minutes to get curious about what’s happening and why. This gives you time to respond from a place of peace so you can confidently move forward. Tackle your challenges head on with these steps…
- Deep breathe your way to peace. Inhale through your nose so your belly expands like a balloon and exhale out your mouth so your belly constricts. Keep breathing deeply until you’re relaxed and able to think clearly.
- Ask yourself questions to gain clarity and perspective. Every challenge is an opportunity to grow and learn so be grateful for it. And then get curious. The more curious you are, the easier it’ll be to find answers especially if you take the time to journal about the situation. Start with…what is this situation trying to teach me?
- Don’t let what other’s say or do influence you. Some people in our lives have a way of making us question ourselves and the decisions we make. You’re the only person who lives your life so it’s up to you how you respond to challenges. Solicited or unsolicited advice only helps if you want to use it AND it feels right to you.
- Take action and be willing to get out of your comfort zone. You’ve got everything you need to handle any challenge that comes your way. Have faith in yourself that you can do what needs to be done even if that requires you to get out of your comfort zone.
- Have fun. Go do something you love to bring joy and happiness to your day. The happier you are, the less overwhelmed you’ll feel! It quiets your mind and gives you an opportunity to hear what you’ve been missing.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by whatever is going on in your life, make the commitment to do things differently. And choose to respond, instead of react, to whatever comes your way. Let these steps help you do just that!